Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Saturday, August 23rd, 2008: Shoot Day #10 On VH Guitar

Today is another early call time of 8am. We all arrive at the plaza which the bank that we are shooting in front of is nestled in. We have the Boppers back today, which always makes for a pleasurable day.

We get going with the first scene in front of the bank where the Boppers notice the English Rocker walking out of the bank. We bang it off pretty quickly and move to the back of the plaza.

At the back, we shoot the English Rocker giving a bag of money that he just got out of the bank to The Barber. The Barber then walks off into the sunset.

I’m a big NYPD Blue fan. Huge. David Caruso’s last shot on that show was of him walking out of the station house. So when they shot the scene, Caruso walked out of the station house and got into his limo and left the set. It was the first take. They called him back and then realized he was gone.

Since Rick lives in the building behind the bank, I’m half afraid he’ll do the same thing. Just keep walking towards his building and never come back. Lucky for us, he did come back and did the same shot three or four times.

We wrap The Barber.

We shoot the rest of the same scene where the Boppers bum-rush the English Rocker. It goes fairly quickly and we finish the scene.

We Wrap Nigel and Lyndsey.

Our next location is the park where we shot the first of the huge fight scenes. The Boppers are noticing and involved with various people that we’ll pick up on Monday. For now, we’re just going to shoot the Boppers, but first I need to get back to my place to grab the guitar cases that we’ll need.

Bill meets up with me here, and we’re off to the park. The only crew we’ve had since Steve went on vacation, and actually, for the majority of the shoot, has been me, Bill and Alicia, and we’re moving like a well oiled machine.

At the bank, Mike and Pat started doing some dancing. Don’t ask me why, these guys really just start doing shit that’ll leave you in stitches. The energy in them is unbelievable. I wish I could give you just one example of it, but it’s the whole day they’re making us laugh.

I wanted to include them dancing so at the park I asked them if they wanted to dance to start and end the scene. There was some concern as to how they would get into the dialogue from the dancing, but my idea was just to stop dancing and do the scene like they were never dancing, then start up again.

They do it and I can’t stop laughing. It’s good on set, but like I said, if you’re laughing on set, you probably won’t be laughing watching it. I hope that saying is wrong. I’m thinking of crediting them as the writers of the song they were making up while dancing. The “Ted Dancing.” You’ll understand if you watch the movie.

We do the two scenes really quick, and pick up part of a third that’s scheduled for Monday. We head back to my place where we have to wait for my Dad to finish coaching soccer before we can shoot the final scene of the day.

On the way back, Bill calls my Mom, who will pick up pizza for us during this break. The humor of someone else calling my Mom for me doesn’t escape me.

My Dad calls and tells me he’s going to be an hour or so later than planned. This is going to be a lot of chilling out.

The real surprise of the day though, definitely goes to Bill who shows up with 72 donuts. Leanne got a job at the Donut Diner and somehow six dozen donuts ended up in Bills car, which then ended up on my back deck. Food fit for champions, we chill out on donuts and Little Caesar’s.

Fatigue starts to set in a bit, as well as boredom, so Mike goes to catch some zzz’s on the swing in the backyard while the rest of us move indoors for a game of Scene-It on the 360. It’s funny that there always seems to be a race for last place, and a race for first. There’re never more than three people racing to get in on those spots.

Alicia and I are battling for first, and it’s a tight war when we get into Final Cut, the final round of the game. I am not happy to report that I lost this game to her. This does not make me happy one bit.

After my bitter defeat, I go outside to ease my pain with some day old donuts that are already starting to smell like trash, and some nicotine. I don’t want to be a sore loser, but fuck you Alicia. Fuck you in the ear.

Finally, the old man arrives and we walk through what we’re going to be doing in the scene. We roll it and I throw some improvisation out there for the Boppers. The final scene of the day goes really well.

Bill jets and refuses to take his nasty ass donuts with him. Pat comes in and saves the day by taking them with him. Pat is my new hero. Bill, my new enemy.

I’m hoping this episode is pretty funny, and if it is, I think it’ll be mostly the shit that got added to the script and nothing I wrote. Some of the stuff I wrote I already know will fall flat on its face. There was nothing I could do to bring it back to the humor it had on the page. There’s also other things that I wrote in the episode that I didn’t think were funny at all, but the people playing the roles put some funny into them. Something as simple as the Mick getting out of a car has turned into a favorite thing of mine because of how Irish did it.

Tomorrow is the concert, which means another early wakeup call. I really don’t want to try and tackle this thing. Sometimes I get myself into situations I’m not sure I can handle just yet. Bill managed to get a hold of Kyle, who will be a shooter and also supply two cameras. One of the cameras is useless, but we’ll use it just to capture the audio, and the other camera is almost useless, as it shoots at a different frame rate.

We’ll see what happens. Sue, Alicia and myself head out to Wal-Mart to grab tapes for tomorrow. We then hit up the video store where I purchase State and Main. We peep it before calling it a night. I love this movie.






No comments: