Thursday, July 3, 2008

Between June 14th, and June 21st, 2008

Harry emails me and tells me he loves the script for Episode 4. His enthusiasm oozes through the email and puts a smile on my face. Enough people have said they like it, I can maybe start to think it might have potential. I’m really hard on my self when it comes to all this film stuff, and writing is no exception. I do what I do and hope people respond to it. The people I’ve sent the script for Episode 4 to have all responded well to it. That’s good enough for me.

The guy that Bill got a location out of earlier gives us a lead about a hotel room we could possibly use. We go to see him but he’s out. Oh well, we’ll try back on Monday and see if we can swindle the hotel room out of him.

I manage to settle on tripod legs and a head, as well as a new Glidecam system that can support the weight of the new rig. After dealing with a couple of companies, I go with a company out of New Jersey for this gear, as they quoted me the best price by far. They even worked with me and offered me deals on the stuff, and believe me when I say, I got quite the deal. This company is tops. I’m not going to say what the deal is, or even what the company is just yet. When I get the gear and if it’s top notch, I’ll definitely be throwing some free advertising their way.

During this time, I also decide that I want the film to have a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. That’s the really wide aspect ratio that most movies seem to be going for now. From everything I’ve read in American Cinematographer magazine, it’s a new ball game for framing. All our flicks have been shot in 16:9, so I need to watch some movies with this aspect ratio and see if I can mimic it.

I’ve never seen a Sergio Leone film before so me and Sue kick back to some Once Upon a Time in the West. We’re both blown away. I’ve never seen a film quite like this before. It’s like watching a master paint a piece of art. The slow, deliberate style is just amazing to me. You can definitely see a masters hand at work and I wonder where the hell this film has been all my life. By the third scene into the film, I know I have another favorite film for my list. Wow. I love this film.

To continue on my 2.35 aspect ratio learning trip, I’ve decided to watch a few movies that Robert Richardson ASC shot. He’s in my top three for cinematographers, if not holding the top spot, so who better to learn from? Kyle comes over and we pop in Kill Bill Vol. 1. I love this flick and I never get tired of seeing it. I’m a little worried about Kyle as he has a tendency to talk through an entire movie, so I told him I refuse to watch movies with him. He says he won’t talk, and lo and behold, he pretty much keeps up his end of the deal.

Throughout this week, Kyle comes over to watch these movies that he’s never seen before. We check out Kill Bill Vol. 2 another night, and we end the week on the Friday having a long ass double bill of Casino and Once Upon a Time in the West. Kyle manages to do well for the double bill, other than pointing out some inspirations I had from Casino that he sees in my work. Martin Scorsese is my favorite director so this is of course flattery at it’s finest.

I think maybe that’s the best way to go about this 2.35 dilemma of mine. I’ve noticed some traits that are common in all the films framing wise, but maybe it’s just best to watch only films shot in this aspect ratio and have myself learn through an osmosis type deal. Hopefully watching this stuff enough will sink subconsciously into my brain and come out when we shoot. I got plans to check out The Departed, shot by Michael Ballhaus ASC, as well as possibly No Country for Old Men shot by Roger Deakens ASC. I’ve seen both flicks numerous times since they came out, but I’ve kind of been itching to watch The Departed again anyways as I just watched No Country not too long ago.

Kyle sends me a link for a company that sells clings to put on the LCD of the camera. The clings have the various aspect ratios on them, and they’re dirt cheap so I order them.

I manage to get my copy of Dreamweaver working again and throw up an update on the website. Small stuff like this I can do and handle, it’s the bigger stuff where I get lost. The bigger stuff that we need done.

No comments: