So this project is actually a retooled script I wrote back in 2001 as a final film project for my venture to the New York Film Academy. I think it was around ten pages when I first wrote it and involved the main dude dying at the gates for a subway. Obviously, in the great area of Niagara, we don’t have subways, so I changed the deathbed to a bus platform, which I also used in a short called “imperfect.” I probably stole that part of “imperfect” from this script. Anyways, it doesn’t matter as I stole the death and his “confession” from “Double Indemnity.” Hey, if you’re going to steal, steal from the best.
Every so often, I would revisit this script, and update it accordingly. As a result, I don’t remember too much of the original “almost silent” version I was going to do in New York. I say “almost silent” because we didn’t have sync equipment at the New York Film Academy. The idea was to have very minimum dialogue, record that to a Marantz, and try to sync it up on the Steenbeck editing table. When it would run out of sync, I’d cut to something else, then back to the dialogue, trying to sync it up again. The idea was to disguise the characters mouths as much as possible so sync didn’t matter too much.
Regardless, the idea was scrapped when one of my teachers informed me that I’d be looking at a film much longer than the 10 minute maximum running time required by the school to play it at the end of the session. I came up with another idea and did that instead. Now that I’m revisiting it, I don’t have to worry about the sound thanks to the ever increasing quality of video which will automatically have it in sync, and keep it that way. I also don’t have to worry about a maximum running time, which I’ve never been good with anyway. My original 10 page script has ballooned up to 35 pages.
Maybe I should try to find that script to see what I called it, then steal the title.
Thursday, July 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment